But Isn't It Dangerous?

These days, I don't really think long and hard about traveling somewhere new. I spend a few hours researching and preparing myself for the weather, customs, and hardships I'm likely to encounter. I try to make a list of the things I'd like to see and how I'll manage transportation, and I go.

I don't panic on the plane or behind the wheel of my trusty Honda Civic. I spend remarkably little of my travel time thinking about what's coming.  I would be remiss not to acknowledge the anxiety that peeks out from behind the excitement as I get closer. There's a point at which I know I'll have to spring into action again, navigate an airport (or an unexpectedly chaotic turnoff from a highway I'm not particularly familiar with). I trust in my own ability to "show up" because I've gotten myself through before, and there's no reason to suspect I'll fail this time around. The places change. But it's still me, the Intrepid Adventurebrarian. And people are generally good and helpful in my experience. A deep breath to stabilize my pulsating heart, and I'm on the move, usually making my way to the place I'll spend the night. That's one thing I plan in advance regardless of the anticipated busy-ness of the tourist season. I know plenty of others who don't bother to plan. 

I'll be the first to confess that what I do is adventurous. I don't know the outcome. I am on the outside. I have to call upon my skills to navigate trying situations. My linguistic abilities are regularly put to the test. But is what I do dangerous?  A fair number of people seem to think so. 

The fears aren't ungrounded, and are largely dependent on the location in question, the openness of its inhabitants, the political climate, and a handful of other factors. This is why I research (Duh, I'm a librarian!)

Research has a way of assuaging uncertainty and disarming fear. The more we know, the more we can respond to a wide range of situations. Every thing we learn and internalize is a tool in our arsenal. Whether we're arming ourselves against fake news or the dangers posed by drug cartels(an unfortunate feature of the landscape in Central and South America), more information is always preferable to less, so long as we can also be critical of that information and select for internalization information that meets our specific needs (or is likely to in the future), has a readily identifiable source, details of publication, and a few other things. More on that later. Let's just assume for the time being that information is generally a pretty great thing to have. The more I know, the less I fear. But remember, I also have to be able to process and internalize and USE what I learn. There's a limit to what I can take in and reliably use. 

There's definitely a learning curve when it comes to recognizing when you have enough information to function/operate at an optimal level/feel safe. And there will always be unknowns, variables you can't anticipate.  I don't want to overload myself, and I'd advise anyone who does feel overloaded to take a step back, take a deep breath, and analyze the information at their disposal using skills I'll highlight later. 

Strong research skills are key to successful adventuring. Throw in a sense of resiliency, and you're most of the way there. 

Life is not short on ways to acquire these skills. Try driving a car. 

What? You already DO drive a car? Like, in traffic, amidst other cars?

Statistically, you're more likely to be killed in a car crash than to fall victim to homicide. Falls from ladders claim a rather large percentage of deaths every year, as do food-borne illnesses. They're really not that far behind car accidents. It's the things that we take for granted that pose the greatest danger.

Do you feel better? Or do you feel worse? Are you still going to pick up groceries tonight or make your way into work tomorrow morning? Yes? 

You're probably thinking, "I do it because I have to" although strictly speaking, that's not true. You could take public transportation. Or bike. You could move into more expensive housing in the city and walk to work. These options all have one thing in common for most of us-they're less convenient. And being the society of convenience that we are, it's a no-brainer. We'll toss those dice and get behind the wheel and pretend we have more control than we actually do. 

Travel is no different, nor adventuring in general. It involves some degree of risk and we take on more risk in the name of convenience, or experiencing something real about a place or situation. This general assumption could probably be applied to people too-for what is love but an adventure you agree to go on with someone? Being vulnerable might get you kicked to the curb and it might also solidify a connection you can't get anywhere else. If you're like most of us, you ease into it. You learn. You explore. You venture small things until you grow confident enough to dare a little more greatly 

Knowing is central to growing. And it happens in increments. And sometimes you have to forget what you think you know in the name of acquiring better knowledge. It's a lot to devote yourself to. And it requires knowing yourself. And that happens in increments too. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adventure in a Nutshell